I have a Master of Science degree in electrical engineering and computer science. I studied at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Belgrade. Although hardware engineering is my passion, the course of life has led me to the Petroleum Industry of Serbia. More precisely, I work in the Technical Services in Zrenjanin, which is a subsidiary company of the Petroleum Industry of Serbia.
I work as an inspection and testing engineer. My job is to perform inspections of the electrical equipment and to draft reports based on these inspections. These reports are used for removal of defects, with the aim of preventing sudden equipment failures. I constantly deal with: low voltage main distribution boards in transformer stations, low voltage capacitor banks for power factor correction, electric motors, electric motors and electric motor power distribution boards, diesel generators and electrical equipment in hazardous areas.
In addition to the job at the Petroleum Industry of Serbia, I also work on the hardware development. PCB designing, microcontroller programming, and soldering is what fulfills me. Creating and inventing are far greater challenges than maintaining and repairing.
At this blog I will share my experiences with the electrics and electronics, both from the job in the Petroleum Industry of Serbia and from the hardware engineer freelancing.
My detailed CV can be found in the text below, and you can see the list of projects which I have worked on at the Portfolio page.
EDUCATION, Master of Science in electrical engineering and computer science
- High school (2000-2005): Zrenjanin Grammar School, specializing in mathematics and natural sciences
- Bachelor (2005-2009): Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Belgrade, Department of Electronics. I graduated with an average grade of 8.50.
- Master (2009-2011): Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Belgrade, Department of Electronics. I graduated with an average grade of 8.83.
PROJECTS ON FACULTY
- Programmed the microcontroller MSP430F449 in assembler, C programming language and real time operating system EMBOS.
- Wrote VHDL code for FPGA Spartan-3E chip.
- Drew the Layout for ASCII integrated circuits in the program Magic.
- Programmed a simulator for digital logic circuit in programming language C++.
- Worked on algorithms for digital control of electric motors.
- Designed the measuring and controlling applications for PC using Lab Windows CVI.
- I have completed my thesis at the “MikroElektronika” company, where I have spent five weeks. While I was there, I designed PCB in the software Protel, soldered SMD components and programmed PIC microcontrollers in the C programming language.
WORKING EXPERIENCE AT THE PETROLEUM INDUSTRY OF SERBIA
I have worked in the Petroleum Industry of Serbia since July 2010, at the position of the inspection and testing engineer. My job is to inspect and test the electrical equipment for the oil and gas exploitation and to draft reports based on that. These reports are used for removal of defects, with the aim of preventing sudden equipment failures. My job consists of:
- Thermal imaging of the low voltage distribution substations, distribution boards, electric motors and various pumps for fluids, and creating reports.
- Measurement of electrical quantities.
- Analysis of data from 3-phase electrical power analyzers.
- Calculation, inspection and testing of low voltage capacitor banks for power factor correction.
- Testing diesel generators with the load bank, and creating and maintaining data base of tested diesel generators.
- I have a certificate in the explosion protection of electrical equipment and installations. I work on the preventive examinations of Ex equipment.
- I have made an intelligent system for monitoring electrical power consumption on my own initiative. The system includes power analyzer PM500, software for PC and embedded device which informs users via SMS messages about electrical power consumption. Software for PC was made in Lab Windows CVI, and PLC with PIC microcontroller was used for the embedded system. The data from this system were used for calculating low voltage capacitor banks for power factor correction. It was my Master’s Thesis and I presented it at the international conference “Eurobrand” in Kladovo in June 2011.
In addition to the job at the Petroleum Industry of Serbia, I also work on the hardware development. I work on the PCB design, microcontroller programming and creating prototypes. I have used the Protel, the KiCad and the Altium Designer for PCB Software Design. I program microcontrollers in the programming language C. I have worked on the following projects:
- Pellet burner controller which includes touch screen, temperature sensors, digital inputs, outputs for AC and DC electro motors and heater. It has the possibility of adding GSM module which is used for SMS communication with users. It can also act like mini web server for communication with PC.
- SMS alarm for boats that is connected to a system for detecting when the boat is being flooded with water. It alerts the users via SMS messages. It includes touch screen, temperature sensor, GSM module and digital input for flooding detection.
- Work on computer: MS Windows, Internet, MS Office, Matlab
- Programming: Pascal, Assembler, C, C++, HTML, Lab Windows CVI
- Hardware design: Protel, KiCad, Altium Designer
- Power electronics: DC-DC, AC-DC, DC-AC converters
- Testing diesel generators with a load bank
- Thermography of electrical equipment
- Certificate in the explosion protection of electrical equipment and installations
- Analysis of the electrical power consumption using 3-phase electrical power analyzer
- Driver’s license B category
- Foreign Language: English, conversation, reading and writing
I train triathlon and long-distance running. I prefer the half-ironman distance in a triathlon and the marathon in a long-distance running. Endurance sports have improved my mental stamina, will and persistence. So far, I have not given up from any of my projects or jobs and I have finished every one of them.